Legalities & Procedures for Acquisition



The last time we looked, suppressors were legal in AK, AL, AR, AZ, CO, CT, FL, GA, ID, IN, KY, LA, ME, MD, MN, MS, MT, ND, NC, NH, NV, OH, OK, OR, PA, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VA, WA, WI, WV, & WY. They may be owned by Class 3 Dealers and Class 2 manufacturers in CA, IA, KS, MA, MO & MT. Almost any governmental agency or municipality may own and use a silencer in any state, except MI. We will update this as more information becomes available, and as laws change.

A private citizen may purchase a suppressor directly from us, BUT, in order to legally receive it he or she will have to work through a Class 3 dealer or Class 2 manufacturer in their state. Sound Tech will transfer the suppressor to the local dealer through a form 3, approved by BATF, which takes a minimum of 30 days. Once the local dealer receives it, he may then transfer the weapon on a form 4 (which costs $200) to the individual. The dealer usually charges a minimum of $50 for the transfer, which usually takes a minimum of 90 days. Governmental agencies, PDs and municipalities take their transfers on a form 5, which is free and usually takes 30 days.

Transfers are considered costly by some, so make sure you really want what you order before embarking on the procedure. Ask questions. If possible, try the various products out. There is no substitute for hands-on experience. Don't settle for something that won't do the job. Do the research and try to get what you really want. Some products are nearly unobtainable -- like a silencer for a Glock pistol that allows the weapon to cycle. Use a fixed barrel for the host weapon whenever possible. Pistols with barrels that move during cycling are prone to trouble, both at the attachment point, and during cycling. Use single shot and bolt-action weapons whenever possible. Shotguns can be suppressed, but are usually not worth the trouble. Revolvers are problematic in that the gas escaping through the barrel/cylinder gap makes more noise than the muzzle blast. Don't stray too far from the field of proven systems. The Ruger MK II pistol, and the 10/22 and 77/22 rifles are standards of the suppressed rimfire industry. It will cost time, money and utility to specify another type or brand of host weapon. Don't try to save ten dollars by going to an off-brand that may cost hundreds more to modify.